Friday, December 4, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.



I watched the Christmas tree lighting at Rockefeller Center the other night on TV. Funny how this is the second Holiday Season I've spent in NYC and I haven't made an effort to go. I guess I have too many visions of tourists elbowing me to better see Rod Stewart's creepy and truly out-of-key version of "Love Train." Or I have visions of the terrible weather and dealing with umbrella wielding tourists. Instead, I watched from the warm comfort of my couch, blessedly alone.

Michael Buble sang "I'll Be Home for Christmas" while they showed a video of families being reunited as their soldiers came home from Iraq. Maybe it's that time of year, or maybe I'm feeling sad because I just got back from being home with my family. But, I was crying to myself in an almost pathetic way. (Honestly, it could have been the fact that "I'll Be Home for Christmas" is one of the most depressing Christmas songs ever. Only defeated by "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." If that song had been chosen I would have been a weeping mess for the rest of the night.) I'm glad my roommates weren't home for that, I felt pretty silly afterwards.

It's funny, but I'm already ready to go home again for Christmas. Can it just get here already?

I leave you humming "We Need a Little Christmas."

No comments:

Post a Comment