Sunday, September 27, 2009

Late Night Prattle

When I was little I used to watch a lot of movies with my family. I used to do one thing all the time, but only if I had seen the movie before. If there was a part coming up that scared me, I would run and hide until that part was over.

Example: in Sleeping Beauty I would run and hide when Maleficent yelled at her trolls or became the dragon.
Example 2: in Home Alone I hid when the basement heater came alive.

That's what I always did until I was old enough to not be scared anymore. Now I have no reaction when I watch those parts. However, that reaction changed to something else when I was a little older. In Jr high I would leave the room when a character in a movie was about to make a bad decision or be embarrassed in any way.

Example: in Ever After I would leave the room when Henry turns his back on Danielle at the ball.
Example 2: in Romy and Michele's High School Reunion I would always conveniently "need something from upstairs" when Romy told the group of cheerleaders she invented post-its.

I guess I didn't want to see people hurt or embarrassed. It just makes me feel really uncomfortable. Maybe it's my old age, or maybe I'm just lazy, but I never get up and leave for any reason. There are a few movies that I will turn off though.

Example: in Moulin Rouge as soon as the curtain falls on their show I turn the movie off. In my version Satine never dies.
Example 2: Somewhere in Time is turned off before he finds the present day penny and is sent back to his time.

So, I still don't deal with bad scenes, but I don't have to leave the room anymore.

I leave you (but not the room) humming "We Gotta Get out of This Place."

2 comments:

  1. First off---

    I am the same way. I can't watch American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance bad auditions...just can't do it.

    I love you for knowing Somewhere in Time. :)

    ReplyDelete