Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cautionary Note-To-Self

Dear Future Self,

Do not, I repeat, do NOT treat people like crap. No matter who you think you are or what you think you’ve done. There’s always someone else that’s having a worse day than you. Maybe their Mom is getting radiation for Breast Cancer next week. Maybe they're just tired and don’t need you screaming at them. How about this: how about you don’t completely and utterly ream them all the way back to your office in front of the entire staff? You know what? That's not anyone’s ideal situation. But, maybe you don’t understand that because you think you’re better than everyone else based on your circumstances. That’s doesn’t make you better, it makes you more accountable for your actions.

Imagine yourself as the “Little Guy” just once, and see how it makes you feel to be treated that way. It’s sickening what you can get away with when you have more money or a higher social standing than someone else. So, please, no matter where you go, or what you do, or what you’ve accomplished, always remember to be kind to others. Live by this rule and it will get you through life with your dignity and honor intact. You will feel better about yourself, I promise. You know as well as I that you will not feel better after making someone cry. People loving you gives you 10 times more power than people hating you. You will be loved for being yourself and people will remember you for your kindness.

Although I haven’t met you yet, I’m convinced I know you like I know myself and you would rather hear the nicest things said about you, rather than anything hateful. So don’t give anyone ANYTHING hateful to think or say about you. The one thing that you want someone to say about you is, “I’m happy to know her.” Remember that and hold it close to you for the rest of your life.

Thank you. 

-July 19, 2012 Self

P.S. I leave you humming Coldplay's "Fix You."

No comments:

Post a Comment