Thursday, September 1, 2011

And In Other News...

Irene was a tropical storm when it hit New York. That's it. I told everyone not to worry about it, but did they listen? Nope. Not that I blame them. It's easy to get caught up in an impending natural disaster that might hit New York. Nothing ever happens here, so people need to overreact when something finally does.

I refused to take this threat serious enough to even take the air conditioner out of my window. How was I supposed to sleep in a stuffy room? I'd rather my air conditioner be ripped out of the window than sleep the whole night without it.

Even though I knew this whole thing was going to blow over (pun intended) without completely destroying Manhattan, my roommates and I prepared a bit on Saturday:

1. We filled up one bathtub with water (for flushing purposes).
2. We filled up all of our water bottles with water (filtered at Ian's insistence).
3. We took the window fans out of the living room windows (making the living room too stuffy for my liking).
4. Ian bought fixings for chocolate chip cookies (which he made before the "hurricane" began, YAY).
5. Kate and I went to Grestides to get groceries and yet bought nothing non-perishable accept a few ingredients for my pasta bake (which I cooked up later, voiding their non-perishable status).
6. I invited my sister over to watch movies and eat my pasta bake.
7. Kate and I made an emergency run back to Gristedes to buy chocolate bars for the S'mores we decided we NEEDED to make.
8. We found whatever flashlights and candles we had and brought them in to the living room (meager findings, believe me).
9. We all overate all day. "If it's the end of the world, I'm going to go out like a glutton." So, says I.
10. Stayed up late watching movies and then finally went to bed.

I woke up Sunday morning at 9:15 and realized that I had completely missed Irene. She came and went with barely a whisper to rouse me from my slumber. I got up and made french toast for everyone (including my sister who had stayed the night) using the power that hadn't gone out, drinking the water that hadn't stopped, and enjoying the absence of the sound of the M-4 Buses that stop in front of our apartment. It was wonderful. I stayed the whole day inside watching episodes of Battlestar Galactica and movies that have been neglected for far too long, all the while saying that the storm was what was keeping me from venturing out into the world. I didn't leave my apartment all day. Glorious, truly glorious.

I hope everyone who reads my blog had as easy a time weathering the storm (pun intended again) as I did.

I leave you humming "Stormy Weather."

1 comment:

  1. I am very happy that you and the roomies were prepared for a bad-case scenario. The truth of the matter is that no one knew in advanced what Irene was going to do. I'm pretty sure Irene didn't know what she was going to do (that bitch Irene is always so unreliable). If things turned out differently, you'd be saying "oh, thank god we made cookies in advanced because that and the pasta bake are the only sustenance we have in this lawless town." Always better to over-prepare than under-prepare, better safe than sorry, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush (I needed another saying) and everyone made it out much better than those poor people in places like Vermont, who I'm sure didn't think the storm was going to affect them badly. And it was just a tropical storm.

    ReplyDelete