Monday, June 6, 2011

"Music has charms to soothe the savage breast"

Someone told me today: "If life is a highway (and I hate to use that metaphor) then music is the gas that keeps us going."

It really resonated within me. This idea of music being the be all, end all, is something so intriguing to me. I told him that my roommates have a lot to do with what's shaped my musical preferences lately. I have three roommates with very unique musical preferences, but somehow we all have common musical interests. Don't ask me how, but they know what kind of music will appeal to me and when.

I also notice that music that didn't appeal to me at one time, now does. I received two CDs when I graduated high school from a close friend. The group that she was so sure that I would love was Hem. Total folksy sound that I was completely unprepared to love at age 18. I think I only listened to it once, before I forgot all about it. I found it on my MP3 player last year and accidentally listened to it. Now at 25, not only does the style fit me, the lyrics mean more to me now than they ever could. I truly believe that music can heal all sorts of pain and ailments. Why else was it created, if not to help us through tough times or deep rooted emotional issues?

So, I ask you to look into yourselves and find that music that will guide you through those times of uncertainty and strife. For some reason, I sense most of my friends are dealing with some really hard things right now and I can't do much to help.

If life is a highway (and now I hate to use that metaphor), then I am only too happy to believe that music will fuel us on to the next resting spot. Or perhaps it is the road signs to help guide us there.

I leave you humming "Half Acre" by Hem.

No comments:

Post a Comment