Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sad days at the Olympics

I've been really enjoying watching the Olympics with my roommates. We watch them most nights and it's been surprisingly fun. Well, I guess I'm not surprised because we're pretty awesome.

We've seen event after event and gold medalist after gold medalist. But, we've also seen some terribly sad moments as well.

1. The German, women's bobsled team who was suspposed to take the Gold crashed on their last run. It was the driver, Cathleen Martini's first crash and it happened on their final run at the Olympics.

2. The coach of Dutch speed skater, Sven Kramer accidentally indicated the wrong lane to Kramer leading to his disqualification.
He had come in first and was to receive the Gold medal before his disqualification.

3. Lindsey Vonn crashed on her downhill Slalom ski yesterday. She probably would have medaled.
Because the officials were running skiers 2 at a time, Julia Mancuso was halted on her run because of Vonn's fall and had to go on a second run. Nothing is the same the second time around and Mancuso finished in 18th place.
Having already won the Silver medal in another event, she was a big contender for Gold. 

4. After hearing about the unexpected heart attack and death of her Mother, Joannie Rochette decided to go ahead and skate her short program.
As of now she is in third place and is a huge contender to medal. Watching her skate was inspirational for me in so many ways. I know I wouldn't have been able to do it. No matter how much "my Mom would have wanted me to do it." Sorry Mom, I'm not competing in the Olympics if that happens. (By the way, it won't happen because you're going to live forever.)

I leave you humming "Free To Be... You And Me." (It's alright to cry...)

No comments:

Post a Comment