Monday, December 14, 2009

All in the name of Friendship.

This Saturday, my roommate Beau ran in a 4 mile race. In Brooklyn. At 9:00 AM. That means we were up at 6:45 and out the door by 7:00. Again, on a Saturday morning.

A.) That was my first day off since last Sunday.
B.) I wanted to sleep in.
C.) It was 25 degrees outside.
D. No Dunkin Donuts.....

It was tough, to say the least. I wasn't even the one running! At least Beau was going to run to warm up. I was just stuck standing at the start/finish line waiting for her in the freezing temperatures....with the wind.....

But after everything, I was so happy that I could go. This was something she needed to do for herself, and she did. She ran that 4 miles in under 24 minutes. I got a little teary eyed when I screamed her name as she crossed the finish line. I was so proud of her. I think she was even more proud of herself for actually doing it. I hugged her, out-of-breath and sweaty, body and told her she did a fantastic job. She told me, later when she could breathe again, how much my cheering her on meant to her. I was glad to have been of service. That's what friends are for, right?

I leave you humming "That's What Friends Are For." (From The Jungle Book)

2 comments:

  1. What the what?! No DD? Sucks. (BTW- big congrats to Beau on the run. that's so cool and I'm proud of her).

    ReplyDelete