Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Reflection On a Dream of Fallen Heroes

Of course with everything that happened in the past two days, my mind can't remain still. It's been two full days and nights of reflections.

It probably doesn't help that I'm also reading James Brady's Hero of the Pacific: The Life of Marine Legend John Basilone. Mr. Brady has a very pedestrian style of writing. He makes it easy for even the most unschooled in the arts of military and combat to understand just how amazing Basilone's feats were. My Dad sent this book to me because we watched the HBO series The Pacific together and I was amazed and baffled by this Marine that I had never even heard of before. This Medal of Honor laureate who was rewarded for his brave actions on Guadalcanal.

My mind is all over the place with this book and current events. It immediately goes to "how can anyone do what these guys have to do?" I don't understand it and never will. I don't think I can be as brave as Basilone or these unnamed men that took out bin Laden had to be. I don't believe I have what it takes to defy the odds and come out on the other side unscathed. It's hard enough for me to cross the street while avoiding being hit by cars (in my defense, it is New York City).

These are men that go against everything their animal instincts are telling them. They rush into oncoming bullets, and who knows what else, to get the job done. And boy, do they get the job done. If you look close enough through history there have been so many more people in the armed forces that have done extraordinary things in the name and protection of this country. Many of those were killed because of that duty. Basilone, who had been taken out of the war and sent home to sell war bonds, was killed after requesting to return to the fight on Iwo Jima. That's right, he requested to go back. This man was going back because he was a professional solider and fighting is what he did.

I ask you, have you ever heard of this man?

Yet, I can't stop thinking about what a person has to go through to be able to do what they do. I'm up at night thinking about it. Then when I finally do fall asleep, I have weird dreams.

I leave you humming The Theme to Band of Brothers. Now, I know that this is the "other" show about WWII on HBO, but if this theme doesn't give you cold chills, you're heartless. (Ok, fine. Maybe not everyone feels this strongly about the piece, but I do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment